The NDP II is the first building bloc to outline the work to be done to realise the 2040 vision for Somalia. It will provide the strategic direction and set out the milestones in the key areas that are relevant to realise increased stability, reduced fragility and increased resilience, increased economic development and reduce poverty towards a Somalia that has its full place in the international community and is thriving culturally, socially and economically in a peaceful environment where citizens can develop and realize their aspirations.
The NDP II will cover a period of five years and focuses on four main areas of work:
• Solidify and advance the political agenda with a sound structure of roles and responsibilities in the government system, free and fair elections, security arrangements, and communities that are at peace with each other;
• Outline a strong and convincing analysis and strategy to combat poverty in Somalia;
• Finalise the governance arrangements in terms of structure and functions and strengthen the government management arrangements;
• Mobilise investment in service delivery to ensure citizens have access to the services they need;
• Mobilise investment in economic development realising economic growth and diversification of the economic structure contributing to a significant reduction of poverty increasing resilience of the society against external shocks and climate change.
During 2017 and 2018, the implementation arrangements for the National Development Plan were taken forward with an implementation plan that was presented by the Minister of MOPIED to the Prime Minister and Cabinet on 27 April 2017. The implementation arrangement evolved around several (simultaneous) actions:
• Preparation by all Ministries of Action Plans aligned to the NDP;
• Development of State Development Plans (for all Federal Member States), aligned to the NDP;
• Develop a dedicated M&E framework for monitoring result realization, review data availability for M&E purposes (baselines, targets) and address possible shortcoming;
• Re-organize the Aid Coordination Architecture and develop Annual Work Plans for each of the Pillar Working Groups.