Innovate for Somalia -How can we improve the living conditions of internally displaced communities in Mogadishu?Jan 30, 2018
Are you a young Somali innovator between the ages of 18-35? Do you have a solution to improve the lives of people living in Internally Displaced Communities in Mogadishu? Tell us about it!
As a result of conflict and climate disasters in Somalia, over 2 million Somali people have been forced to flee their homes and now live in very poor conditions in settlements.
The Government of Somalia in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme and UN Habitat are launching an open innovation challenge to find solutions that can make a difference to the lives of people who have had to leave their homes behind.
We’re calling for young innovators to submit ideas for the following themes:
- Access to water
- Access to education
- Safety & Security
- Child care
To apply fill out this google form with your details and the idea you have: https://goo.gl/forms/qUlJ9ZNNQGpVLP3A3
Who can apply:
- Somali youth aged 18 – 35
- People from IDP communities and people who are not living in IDP communities can apply
- Your team must have a minimum of 2 people
- Teams of people who are living in IDP communities together with people living in host communities is very welcome
What type of ideas are we looking for?
- Relevance: does your idea address one of the four themes?
- Impact: will your idea change the lives of IDPs?
- Innovation: does your idea address a real need in a creative way?
- Feasibility: is your idea easy to implement and low-cost?
- Well-researched: why will your idea work? we recommend that you do your own online research, visit communities, talk to IDPs and find out their daily struggles.
- Team competency: there’s a diversity of skills in your team
- Income-generation: will your idea generate an income for you?
How will it work?
Step 1: Pease submit your ideas in the application form: https://goo.gl/forms/qUlJ9ZNNQGpVLP3A3
We will select the most promising ideas and you will be invited to present to a panel.
Step 2: You will then be invited to a boot-camp to strengthen your ideas where you will learn skills like design thinking, entrepreneurship, prototyping, business and finance and sessions with expert mentors.
Step 3: You will be given an opportunity to apply what you’ve learned and the most impactful solutions will be awarded seed funding!
This innovation challenge is part of the Durable Solutions Initiative (DSI), which promotes a joint and integrated approach in delivering long term durable solutions for displacement. This means humanitarian, development, peace and state building partners work together simultaneously under the leadership of the government. For more info see uninsomalia.org/durable-solutions-initiative